OCEANSIDE CA. Nov. 18 2007 – A security guard posing as a police officer tried to elicit sexual favors from a woman early Saturday and threatened to write her boyfriend a hefty ticket if she didn’t comply, authorities said.
The couple was parked on Cleveland Street and Mission Avenue at 1:30 a.m. when they were approached by a uniformed officer in a white car with a star on its door, said Oceanside police Lt. Lee Steitz.
The officer accused them of engaging in sexual activity and moved the woman to his car.
He then told the woman that he would write her boyfriend an expensive citation if she didn’t perform sexual favors.
The woman repeatedly denied his offers, and she was able to escape with her boyfriend.
The couple immediately flagged down an Oceanside police officer and reported the incident.
Investigators tracked down the suspect at the nearby Oceanside Transit Center, where he was working as a security guard. He was identified as Terry Charles Ware, 22, and was booked into Vista jail.
SAN DIEGO CA. Nov. 18, 2007 — A downtown security guard was behind bars for trying to sexually assault four women in a parking garage elevator, then taking a $100 bill from one of them, police said.
The crime in the parking garage at 2nd Avenue and A Street occurred about 12:35 a.m., said San Diego police officer A.Hayward.
The victims were walking to their car when a security guard directed them to into an elevator he was holding open, Hayward said.
While on the elevator, the guard stopped the car, pulled out a hunting knife, then ordered them to disrobe, Hayward said.
One of the victims offered the man a $100 bill to let them go, and he agreed, Hayward said.
The victims went to police, and the suspect was arrested when the young women identified him as the one, Hayward said. Police withheld the suspect’s name.
Be a member of the fastest growing security association for just $35!
THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PRIVATE OFFICERS
Join today! www.privateofficer.com limited time offer!
Miami Florida Nov. 18 2007
An immigration agent driving a Jamaican woman from a Miami-Dade detention center to one in Broward took her to his home instead and raped her, according to federal criminal charges filed late Friday.
A criminal complaint filed in Miami federal court alleges that Wilfredo Vazquez, 35, a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent, sexually assaulted the 39-year-old Jamaican mother of two on the afternoon of Sept. 21 at his Tamarac home.
The woman said she was ”afraid” of Vazquez, according to the three-count criminal complaint. She “emphasized that Vazquez was wearing his firearm at all times, and she did not know what he was capable of doing to her.”
Federal authorities are poring over computer records and other documents that track Vazquez’s involvement in previous detainee transfers to see if other women were attacked but feared coming forward.
Vazquez, who worked for the agency for less than a year as an immigration enforcement agent, was picked up Friday evening in Tampa, where he had been on rotation with an unidentified military reserve unit. He is scheduled to make his first appearance in Tampa federal court on Monday.
Cheryl Little, executive director of Miami-based Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center, which represents the victim, said the woman was released from immigration detention Nov. 1. The Miami Herald, as a policy, does not identify rape victims.
”I was scared for my life,” the woman said in a telephone interview before being released. “He had a gun. He’s a big man, and I was in his custody. I expected him to protect me, not to take advantage of me.”
Little said the woman cried with relief when told Friday night about the arrest.
”It was such an emotional moment when I told her,” Little said.
Vazquez denied several times to investigators that the incident happened or that he stopped other than to get gas, according to an affidavit by Homeland Security agent David Nieland.
But records from Florida’s Turnpike SunPass electronic toll system showed Vazquez’s official vehicle left the highway at a Commercial Boulevard ramp near his home, the affidavit said, and the woman described his home and neighborhood to investigators.
The sexual assault case is the first since 2000, when officials at the Krome detention center opened an investigation into sexual misconduct by guards and officers at the west Miami-Dade detention facility.
At least one officer and one contract employee were convicted. The scandal prompted immigration authorities to remove female detainees from Krome. Most women are now housed at the Broward Transitional Center at Pompano Beach, though some are first processed at Krome.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement issued a statement late Friday saying Vazquez was fired “shortly after the allegation was lodged against him.”
”ICE takes employee misconduct very seriously,” the statement said. “As such, Wilfredo Vazquez was arrested [Friday] following a thorough criminal investigation by the ICE Office of Professional Responsibility, the [Department of Homeland Security] Office of Inspector General and the Broward County Sheriff’s Office.”
The Broward Sheriff’s Office first opened the investigation in late September after the victim disclosed the episode to authorities. The U.S. attorney’s office in Miami then developed the case under prosecutor Daniel Rashbaum.
The Jamaican woman was being processed at Krome for transfer to Pompano Beach after being sentenced to time served in connection with a false claim to U.S. citizenship. Immigration officials planned to put her in deportation proceedings after having lived in in the United States for 12 years. She has a 20-year-old daughter and a young son.
She was at Krome’s intake room when Vazquez noticed her among a crowd of male detainees, according to a statement she gave to her attorneys.
In that statement, the woman said the officer told intake officials he would drive her to the Pompano Beach facility. Then he turned to the woman and said: “I’ll rescue you, so you don’t have to wait for them to process all the men.”
Before putting her in the back of a van, Vazquez took the handcuffs off the woman and allegedly said: “I don’t cuff females.”
A Broward Sheriff’s Office report said Vazquez later stopped the van, after asking the woman if she was hungry, and said: “You can sit in the front if you are going to be a good girl.”
Vazquez then asked the woman if she needed to make a phone call, handed her an earpiece and dialed calls to the woman’s daughter and a friend.
After she finished the calls, the officer asked her if she was wearing ”federal underwear” and to show it to him. ”I told him no,” according to the statement.
Later, the officer called his wife on his cellphone to check if she was at home. ”He told me that she was not,” the woman said in the statement.
Inside his home he asked her to “take off those federal clothes.”
‘I just stood there praying to myself, saying, `God, please don’t let this man hurt me.’ I was asking God to have mercy so this man wouldn’t kill me. . . . All I could think of was . . . if he was crazy enough to bring me to his house and rape me, then what would he be willing to do to cover it up?”
After about 15 minutes, the agent ordered her to get dressed and walk to the van.
She noticed a van parked across the street with lights on.
”I thought about running over there and screaming for help,” she stated. “But then I thought he might just shoot me in the back and say that I tried to escape from him.”
After arriving at the Broward facility, the woman was taken to her room. “I just laid on my bed in the fetal position crying.”
A short time later, another Jamaican female detainee asked why she was crying. The woman shared what happened. The next day, the other detainee reported the conversation to facility officials, who took the victim to the BSO and a treatment center.
The woman told The Miami Herald that she keeps replaying the episode in her mind and wondering whether she could have done something to prevent it.
‘I keep thinking, `What could I have done to stop him?’ ” she asked.
Email comments, questions or news to; firstname.lastname@example.org
Join our new forums at www.privateofficer.com
Become a member of the fastest growing security association for just $35!
THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PRIVATE OFFICERS
Join at www.privateofficer.com today! limited time offer!
Detroit Mi. Nov. 18, 2007
A Taylor mother shopped her 7-year-old daughter for sex not just once, but three times, police say.
The twist in the case was revealed Friday when law enforcement announced the arrest of Chad Gorzela, 32, of Saginaw on five child-sex felonies after uncovering evidence in the investigation of the Taylor mother earlier this year showing e-mail conversations between the woman and Gorzela to allegedly arrange sex between Gorzela and the 7-year-old.
The chats are very graphic,” said Sheriff Warren Evans.
The woman is serving a nine- to 20-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to all counts in August after she shopped her daughter for sex to an undercover Wayne County sheriff’s deputy. Following her arrest, police nabbed a Brownstown Township man, who pleaded guilty in October to trying arrange sex with the girl. The mom’s arrest then led police to Gorzela.
Evans and Prosecutor Kym Worthy said it was unclear how Gorzela and the woman connected. Evans said the chats did not discuss money. Authorities are not identifying the woman to protect the identity of her daughter. Gorzela turned himself in Thursday.
Evans said seven months elapsed between the time of the mother’s arrest and Gorzela’s because Gorzela erased his computer’s hard drive and was residing outside the area.
Enough evidence was obtained from the Taylor woman’s computer and Gorzela’s Internet provider to verify his involvement, Worthy said.
Gorzela has been charged with child sexually abusive activity, a 20-year felony; using the Internet for child sexually abusive activity, a 20-year felony; two charges of distributing child sexually abusive material, a 7-year felony; and using the Internet to distribute child sexually abusive material, a 10-year felony.
In the third case, Nicholas Alley of Brownstown Township pleaded guilty to child sexually abusive activity and will be sentenced Nov. 30. He, too, attempted to arrange sex with the 7-year-old.
Email news, comments or questions to; email@example.com
Join our new forums at http://www.privateofficer.com!
BOSTON MA. Nov. 18, 2007— Boston police will ask parents in high-crime areas to let detectives search their children’s bedrooms for guns without warrants in a new anti-crime program.
Police believe parents are so worried their teenagers will be caught up in gun violence that they’ll be willing to allow police into their homes. If the parents say no, the police will leave.
“They don’t know what to do when faced with the problem of dealing with a teenage boy in possession of a firearm,” police Commissioner Edward Davis said of parents. We’re giving them an option in that case.”
Davis announced the program Friday in a meeting with community leaders.
During the next two weeks, teams of three plainclothes officers assigned to schools will go to homes where they believe teens have guns and ask their parents or legal guardians for permission to search.
The program, called Safe Homes, has raised questions about civil liberties.
Thomas Nolan, a former Boston police lieutenant who teaches criminology at Boston University, called it “an end run around the Constitution.”
“The police have restrictions on their authority and ability to conduct searches,” he said. “The Constitution was written with a very specific intent, and that was to keep the law out of private homes unless there is a written document signed by a judge and based on probable cause. Here, you don’t have that.”
Some critics said people may be too intimidated to say no to police.
“People might not understand the implications of weapons being tested or any contraband being found,” said Amy Reichbach, a racial justice advocate at the American Civil Liberties Union.
The program is modeled after one that began in 1994 in St. Louis and ended in 1999, partly because funding ran out. Boston police said that in the first year of the St. Louis program, police were allowed into 98 percent of homes contacted and that guns were seized in half of them.
Davis said officers won’t conduct such searches in the homes of teenagers suspected in shootings or homicides whom investigators are trying to prosecute. If officers find drugs during a warrantless search, it will be up to them whether to make an arrest. Modest amounts of drugs like marijuana will simply be confiscated, officials said.
The Rev. Jeffrey Brown, co-founder of the anti-crime Boston TenPoint Coalition, backed the initiative.
“What I like about this program is it really is a tool to empower the parent,” he said. “It’s a way in which they can get a hold of the household and say, ‘I don’t want that in my house.’”