Seattle WA Dec 14 2010 Police arrested four people early Monday morning after gunshots were fired outside a South Seattle nightclub.
At about 12:20 a.m., police responded to reports of gunshots in the 2900 block of First Avenue South. Security guards at a nightclub told the officers that the culprits may have left in a dark-colored SUV.
Police stopped an SUV at Utah Avenue South and South Forest Street and arrested the four occupants. Police said they also recovered two stolen firearms and a “large amount” of cocaine and marijuana from the SUV.
Just after 1 a.m., an officer who was waiting for the SUV to be impounded heard at least a dozen gunshots fired from just north of the club and in an alley behind the club. Officers again responded, but they didn’t find the people responsible. There were no injuries reported, but police said the club’s front door was damaged.
Seattle Fire Department medics treated one female inside the club for a panic attack, according to police.
The men arrested earlier — two 21-year-olds and a 22- and 23-year-old — were booked into the King County Jail for investigation of possession of stolen property and drug charges.
A Seattle police account of the incident doesn’t name the club, but the Fire Department responded to an aid call at Habana Sodo, a nightclub at 2942 First Ave. S., around the time of the second shooting, according to the department’s 911 log.
MOBILE, Ala. Dec 14 2010 — A woman was due in court Tuesday to face charges that she tortured her common-law husband’s two young children before they were killed and dumped in wooded areas in Alabama and Mississippi.
Heather Leavell-Keaton, 22, was jailed pending the bond hearing on child-abuse charges after being brought back to Mobile from Kentucky, authorities said. Police have said she shares responsibility for the young boy and girl’s deaths, and she’s expected to face more serious charges.
Remains believed to be the children’s have been found in Mississippi and Alabama. The most recent discovery came Saturday, when investigators found bones about 30 miles north of Mobile that are likely those of Natalie DeBlase. She would have turned 5 in November.
A boy’s remains were found in the woods of rural Mississippi last week, and investigators said they’re confident those bones belong to 3-year-old Chase DeBlase.
The children’s father, 27-year-old John DeBlase, is charged with two counts of felony murder and two counts of corpse abuse.
Mobile County Assistant District Attorney Jo Beth Murphree said Friday that authorities would soon upgrade Leavell-Keaton’s charges from child abuse to more serious aggravated child abuse counts. Leavell-Keaton, John DeBlase’s common-law wife, also was to be charged with two counts of corpse abuse. She has yet to be charged with the children’s deaths.
DeBlase’s court-appointed attorney, Jim Sears, has said his client maintains his innocence and that Leavell-Keaton killed the children. She has blamed DeBlase for the children’s deaths.
Attorneys for DeBlase have said he will plead not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect.
DeBlase had told police he dumped his daughter’s body in the woods north of Mobile in March. He said he discarded the boy’s body in Mississippi in June. Police say the children were killed separately, and their remains were immediately dumped.
An investigation into their disappearances started last month after Leavell-Keaton sought a protective order against DeBlase in Kentucky, where the two had moved. She said in the Nov. 18 filing that DeBlase may have killed his children, and that she feared for her life because he was abusive. The couple had a child together this summer, and that child is in state custody in Kentucky.
Arrest warrants in the case accuse Leavell-Keaton of binding the girl’s hands and feet with duct tape, putting a sock in her mouth and stuffing her in a suitcase in a closet for about 14 hours.
The warrants also accuse Leavell-Keaton of duct-taping the boy’s hands to the side of his legs, strapping a broom handle to his back and shoving a sock in his mouth, then forcing him to stand in a corner all night while the adults went to bed.
According to the arrest report, Hayes became verbally abusive and made threats to club security and police after intervening on behalf of a friend who was turned away from the door of the Blue Martini Lounge for not being properly attired.
When Hayes refused to walk away from the front door, the police officer tried to remove him by shocking him with a stun gun, but the shock did not subdue Hayes because his clothing was too thick, according to the police report.
The arresting officer then tackled Hayes, handcuffed the 23-year-old, three-year NFL veteran and took him into custody.
Hayes, who had a tackle and a sack in the Bucs’ 17-16 road win against Washington on Sunday, was released at 5 a.m. after posting cash bail of $750.
Long Beach CA Dec 14 2010 The 35-year-old Long Beach man killed in an officer-involved shooting Sunday was holding a water spigot, not a gun, Long Beach Police officials said Monday.
Two Long Beach police officers responded to a 911 call at 4:40 p.m. Sunday from a neighbor reporting an intoxicated man holding a “six shooter” that looked like an antique gun in the 5300 block of East Ocean Avenue.
“The officers had a position of cover and were observing the suspect while other officers were en route,” said Sgt. Dina Zapalski, a spokeswoman for the Long Beach Police Department.
Zapalski said Douglas Zerby was in a seated position when he extended his arms while holding the gun-like object and pointed it at an officer.
The investigation revealed that Zerby was actually holding a black pistol-grip water nozzle with a metal tip, she said.
He was shot in the torso with a shotgun and handgun, then handcuffed, Zapalski said. He died at the scene.
Zerby’s older sister, Eden Marie Biele, said she was “mortified” upon hearing of her brother’s death.
“Our brother was killed for no reason,” she said. “We’re outraged. You can’t get drunk in the city of Long Beach and not get shot? You’re trying to do the responsible thing and not drive and you get shot? Is that standard protocol? They didn’t wait for backup, they just shot him.”
Zerby had been waiting on the stoop for his friend to come home. He often frequented the building after he had been drinking and was known among the neighbors, his sister said. It was a new neighbor who was not familiar with her brother who made the 911 call, she said.
The family will be holding a vigil at the scene of the shooting at 5:30 p.m. Monday.
Source: L.A. Now
Phoenix AZ Dec 14 2010 A substitute teacher from Fort Mohave on Monday claimed a $95.3 million Powerball prize, whose winner had been a mystery since Dec.1
Sheila Verke, 64, walked into the Arizona Lottery’s headquarters in downtown Phoenix with the single prize-winning ticket from the Dec 1 drawing. She was accompanied by friends and financial advisers when she accepted a jackpot check Monday afternoon. She took the jackpot as a lump sum of $49.9 million.
Verke said she quit her job and is going to buy an RV and begin touring the country.
“This will make so many changes in my own life and the lives of my family,” she said.
She bought the ticket at a Safeway store in Fort Mohave, just south of Bullhead City in western Arizona. She said she regularly played the same numbers for the past six years.
The winning numbers were 5-10-11-12-20 and Powerball No. 2.
The 29-year-old woman, who worked for S.I.A. Protective Services & Investigations LLC, is suing her former company, former owner Amany Tabb, and Security Operation Services LLC, which bought the company in October.
The suit was filed Thursday in Washtenaw County Circuit Court and seeks an unspecified amount of money. Tabb could not be reached for comment.
Among the allegations is that S.I.A. promised to pay the woman’s medical bills, which totaled more than $12,000, but didn’t follow through.
The woman made $8.50 an hour, the suit says, but was not given health benefits and didn’t have insurance on her own.
She was attacked the night of Aug. 10, shortly after she told three men to leave a playground at Maplewood Apartments, a 271-unit apartment complex on Chestnut Street.
She was strangled with a television cord until she was unconscious, and a rape kit showed she had been sexually assaulted, the suit says. She told AnnArbor.com in August that she scared off her attackers after spraying them with pepper spray when she regained consciousness.
According to the suit, the woman returned to work four days after the attack, but S.I.A. refused to place her with another security guard, indicating that staffing levels are up to each client. She also wasn’t provided any additional training, the suit alleges, and wasn’t able to return to work because she feared for her safety.
The suit says the woman repeatedly sought reimbursement of her medical bills, but her calls were ignored, and Tabb sold the business in October to an employee, who is running it under the name SOS.
So far, no arrests have been made in connection with the attack, Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Derrick Jackson said today.
Salem OR Dec 14 2010 Authorities stopped a 47-year-old man twice Sunday on accusations he dashed with DVDs from a pair of Salem stores, the Marion County Sheriff’s Office reported.
Brian L. Jackman of Salem was first cited at a Goodwill store, 3535 Lancaster Dr. N.E., about 1:45pm., after store security stopped him headed out the door with $47 in unpaid-for DVDs, CDs and used computer parts, said Don Thomson, a sheriff’s spokesman.
Jackman returned the items, was cited for third-degree theft and released. Deputies allowed him to hang on to an X-acto knife found on his person.
Shortly after 3 p.m., authorities were called to a Safeway store, 3380 Lancaster Dr. N.E., on reports that a man had dashed with a handful of DVDs then took a swipe at a security guard with an X-acto knife.
Store security told investigators they had spotted a man taking $20 worth of DVDs into the store’s bathroom then leaving without paying. Guards followed the man outside, then confronted him. During the ensuing scuffle, the man pulled out an X-acto knife and attempted to stab a guard in the leg.
The guard received a minor cut and refused treatment
Deputies responded and arrested Jackman. He was taken to the Marion County Jail on counts of first-degree robbery, third-degree theft, menacing, assault and unlawful use of a weapon.
Source: The Oregonian