LAS VEGAS NV March 22 2011– A Clark County prosecutor who handled some of Las Vegas’ most high-profile drug cases was arrested over the weekend for allegedly buying crack cocaine from a street dealer.
Chief Deputy District Attorney David Schubert was arrested Saturday around 5 p.m. on drug charges in a neighborhood east of the Las Vegas Strip. According to the arrest report, police say a plainclothes officer was patrolling near Lisbon and Cambridge when he saw a BMW stop and pick up a person.
In the arrest report, the alleged drug dealer who got into Schubert’s car told police that Schubert has visited the neighborhood near Desert Inn Road and Maryland Parkway about three or four times a week to buy cocaine over the past six to seven months. He told police he knew Schubert by the name Joe.
According to the arrest report, police impounded cocaine, a handgun and four magazines with a total of 47 bullets. They also recovered two boxes of 9mm bullets in Schubert’s BMW.
District Attorney David Roger says his office plans to prosecute Schubert just like any other criminal. They have secured Schubert’s computer, taken his badge and started his termination process. The biggest concern is over Schubert’s current cases.
“We’re more concerned about whether he’s jeopardized any pending investigations. We have informants out there who are working, we have undercover officers and he was privy to some of that information and so that’s of great concern to us,” said Roger.
If he is convicted on the drug charge, he faces one to four years in Nevada state prison.
Schubert has been involved in several high profile cases recently including last years arrest of Paris Hilton for cocaine possession and singer Bruno Mars’s arrest earlier this year for cocaine possession.
The Department of Criminal Justice Services oversees training and licensing for law enforcement and private security in the State of Virginia.
Morgan County GA March 22 2011 A Morgan County Middle School teacher was arrested on Monday and charged with molestation of a student. The student’s guardian has been charged with extortion related to the alleged molestation.
Laura Hall Dyar, 27, Watkinsville, turned herself in to authorities after Ocmulgee Judicial District Superior Court Judge Hugh Wingfield signed warrants for her arrest.
Dyar’s arrest came at the completion of a two-week investigation by the Madison Police Department and Georgia Bureau of Investigation.
According to Madison Police Chief Travis Stapp, Detective Sgt. Wes Thompson initiated the investigation into the alleged molestation after the victim’s guardian contacted police regarding what she said was inappropriate contact of the 14-year-old male with the teacher.
“She contacted us because there might have been some inappropriate contact between (the victim) and an adult,” Stapp said.
Thompson interviewed the guardian on March 4 after the guardian reported that Dyar had been outside her apartment. Initially, Stapp said, the victim did not give authorities the correct identity of the woman. However, Thompson was able to identify Dyar through cell phone communication between the victim and Dyar, Stapp said.
Dyar faces one count of enticing a child for indecent purposes, one count of child molestation and one count of sexual assault. She resigned from her position as an eighth grade special education instructor on Wednesday, March 9, according to Dr. Stan DeJarnett, superintendent, Morgan County Schools.
Arrest warrants allege that Dyar transported the juvenile to a store parking lot where the alleged molestation occurred. Stapp said the alleged molestation occurred on February 28.
DeJarnett said school officials first learned of the possibility of inappropriate conduct on Monday, March 7, after school hours when a school resource officer approached Morgan County Middle School Principal Dr. Joe Hutcheson. Hutcheson contacted DeJarnett and both interviewed Dyar Tuesday morning as soon as she arrived for work.
“It was apparent to all of us that she had not lived up to the principles of student first and integrity,” DeJarnett said. “She didn’t leave us with any options but to put her on administrative leave.”
Dyar was not allowed back in the classroom, DeJarnett said.
On the same day Dyar resigned, Stapp said, officers were attempting to contact the victim. When they went to the victim’s apartment he and his guardian and there belongings were gone. Following an interview with Dyar, officers located the victim and his guardian in DeKalb County. Dyar alleged to Thompson that the guardian, who this newspaper is electing not to identify in order to protect the identity of the juvenile, demanded money for silence on two .
Warrants allege that the guardian initially demanded $3,000 on March 7 “in cash from Laura Dyar by threatening to report Laura Dyar to Law Enforcement for having sexual contact with (the juvenile).” A separate warrant alleges that Dyar paid the guardian a total of $1,200. The warrant alleges that on March 6 Dyar paid the guardian $900, and on March 7 the guardian demanded another $500, of which Dyar paid $300. The guardian was arrested on March 9 and charged with two counts of theft by extortion and one count criminal attempt to extort. She, along with Dyar, remain incarcerated at the Morgan County Detention Center.
The victim, Stapp said, has moved in with a relative outside Morgan County.
Stapp said the alleged molestation took place away from school grounds. “Our investigation leads us to believe none of this has taken place at the school.”
He also said an investigation into the incident is on–going and further charges may result.
DeJanett said the school and board offices had received phone calls from concerned parents regarding the issue. He said the school’s primary concern when the allegations came to light was safety of the students. “We take immediate action to make sure our students are safe.”
He called the arrest a “tragedy on a lot of levels.”
“It is a difficult situation for all of us but we still have to remember what our mission is and that is preparing our students for success.”
Alison Burleson, assistant district attorney, Ocmulgee Judicial District, said if convicted Dyar faces a minimum of five years incarceration to a maximum of 20 years incarceration on the child molestation count. Burleson said the state law dictates that the full five years must be served and it cannot be probated or deferred. Sexual assault by a person in a supervisory position in which the victim is under 16 years of age demands a state minimum of 25 years incarceration in which the sentence cannot be suspended, probated of deferred. Enticing a child for indecent purposes, Burleson said, is a minimum of 10 years and a maximum of 30 years and again, the minimum sentence cannot be suspended, probated or deferred
Source:Morgan County Citizen
Starksboro VT. March 22 2011 An Addison County community is in shock after learning a popular elementary school music teacher has been charged with distributing child pornography.
At Robinson Elementary School in Starksboro music teacher Will Parini is well liked by students.
“He loved how he incorporated song and dance,” said Danielle Thompson whose child attends the school.
Outside the classroom he teaches private guitar lessons and records personal music videos.
But according to the FBI, the 28-year-old Parini had another name and hobby. Using the alias Bill Monday, he allegedly exchanged hundreds of child pornography photos online. They included pictures of young boys and girls, some engaging in sex acts with adults.
“I was shocked. Like immediately shocked,” said Jessica Waite who has two children who attend Robinson Elementary.
According to the court papers, Parini exchanged numerous emails with his supplier and was quoted as saying:
“Beautiful photos!” If I find any more good stuff I will send it…do you like girls too?”
And according to the court papers, Parini admitted in one of the emails he knew what he was doing was wrong.
“…kind of freaks me out, like someone’s going to bust my door down at 6am and arrest me.”
The FBI raided Parini’s home on Route 116 in Starksboro on March 10th looking for evidence.
“I was shocked, didn’t;’ know what to think, more scared worrying the safety of my child,” said Thompson.
According to a letter sent to parents from the principal at Robinson Elementary, Parini has been suspended from the school, and Bristol Elementary where he also teaches music classes, pending the outcome of the criminal investigation. According to that letter it appears none of the students at either school were victims.
“At this point in the investigation there is no evidence that supports that any children in our community were involved in anyway.”
Now parents are trying to figure out how to explain to their young children why Mr. Parini is no longer their teacher.
“I haven’t gotten into too much detail with them. I just asked them if they had ever been alone with him and they both said no, just in the hallway mom,” said Waite.
Others are concerned, because Parini is not in prison as he awaits trial. His home is less than a quarter of a mile from the school and a neighborhood where a lot of children live.
“It’s scary that he is that close to all the kids,” said Waite.
If convicted, Parini faces five to twenty years in prison.
On Monday Parini’s lawyer, Peter Langrock, issued a statement saying the government’s evidence is a limited number of pictures Parini allegedly had for a limited period of time and that there was no involvement with children.
Michael Patrick Yazurlo III, 40, of Manchester Drive, Laflin, was arraigned by District Judge Martin Kane in Wilkes-Barre on charges of impersonating a public servant and disorderly conduct. He was released on $10,000 unsecured bail.
Police charged Yazurlo after Kelly Alexander filed a complaint about a man who had shown her a gold badge after a near crash on Public Square on Jan. 14. Alexander said the man, whom she identified as Yazurlo, stopped at West Market and South Washington streets. He got out of his vehicle and wrote down her license plate number and threatened to take her before the police chief, according to the criminal complaint.
When Alexander asked him for his badge number, he told her he didn’t have to give it to her because he was not going to issue a ticket, the criminal complaint says.
Alexander said the man was wearing a Mohegan Sun jacket with the word “security” on the back, and a Mohegan Sun badge around his neck. Police tracked his Nissan Xterra to the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza in Wilkes-Barre Township.
Yazurlo denied he stopped the woman during an interview with police. He told officers he graduated from a police academy but was never hired as a police officer, according to the criminal complaint.
Mohegan Sun owns the naming rights to the arena, which is owned by the Luzerne County Convention Center Authority.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled on March 29 in Wilkes-Barre Central Court.
CORPUS CHRISTI TX March 22 2011 — A quick description of a vehicle seen leaving a car lot that had been burglarized twice in the past month helped Corpus Christi catch a possible suspect Saturday.
The night security guard at All Star Isuzu called police before 2:30 a.m. after watching the suspect leave west of South Padre Island Drive. Officers spotted the vehicle moments later at SPID and Ayers Street and arrested the driver.
Mark Cantu, 46, has four previous convictions in Nueces County – including for theft and burglary of a vehicle – according to the Nueces County District Clerk website. Cantu was being held in Nueces County Jail on $2,000 bond for suspicion of burglar of a vehicle and unlawful use of a criminal instrument.
Police did not say if Cantu is a suspect in two previous burglaries at All Star Isuzu on Saturday, Feb. 19 and Sunday, March 6.
They will be legally allowed to combat under-age drinking, begging and anti-social behaviour around one of Britain’s busiest transport hubs.
Scotland Yard is accrediting 15 security guards from Ultimate Security Services with limited powers to operate around Victoria coach and train stations in central London.
Officers hope the scheme will relieve the strain on both the Met and British Transport Police services.
The security guards now have the power to: Request a name and address for a string of offences including criminal damage, begging and anti-social behaviour and confiscate alcohol being consumed within a designated public place or by a person under the age of 18 years.
They can also confiscate cigarettes from under 16s and stop cyclists riding on footpaths.
Ruth Duston, chief executive of Victoria Business Improvement District, said the security guards provide extra “ears and eyes for SW1″.
“The scheme will help to provide a safe and secure destination for all who live, work and visit the area,” she added.
The Community Safety Accreditation Scheme is a Home Office initiative enabling force chiefs to designate targeted police powers to private firms
Chicago IL March 22 2011 A security guard for a bar who posed as an off-duty Chicago Police Department officer told police that he shot a man in the leg after an argument because he felt threatened, authorities said.
Danielito Valentin, of the 5300 block of South Spaulding Avenue was held on $150,000 bond Sunday on felony charges of aggravated battery with a firearm and false impersonation of a peace officer, court records show.
According to witnesses, Valentin and the victim got into an argument in front of Gallagher’s bar on the 1700 block of West Greenleaf Avenue at 4:07 a.m. Saturday when Valentin pulled out a small caliber handgun from his waistband and shot the victim once in the left leg, court records show.
Valentin fled the scene on foot, according to court records. He was taken into custody a short time later on the 1900 block of West Touhy Avenue.
Valentin told police that the victim showed a weapon first. Valentin had dropped his weapon down a sewer, court records show. He is also accused of falsely telling bar patrons that he was a police officer while carrying a Chicago Police Department badge.
Velez said the incidents happened between May 2004 and November 2010 while Warkoski was employed in the firm’s accounts payable department.
Police arrested Warkoski Thursday at her West Hempfield Township home and charged her with seven counts each of theft by unlawful taking and forgery.
Police said she was arraigned by District Judge B. Denise Commins and committed to Lancaster County Prison in lieu of $350,000 bail.
Velez said the thefts went unnoticed by company officials because Warkoski handled all financial transactions.
“It was seemingly the perfect situation for her, because she was the only one who saw the paperwork,” the detective said.
Velez said Warkoski’s alleged misdeeds were discovered when she was away for a period of time and company owners took a look at the firm’s bank statements.
Yarnell fired Warkoski in November after the alleged thefts were discovered, Velez said. Yarnell officials contacted police, who launched an investigation.
Yarnell officials did not immediately return a phone call for comment Thursday.
Velez said police soon discovered that Warkoski’s alleged activities ran much deeper than anyone suspected.
“Initially we thought she had taken much, much less,” Velez said. “We first thought it was about $17,000.”
Velez said Warkoski allegedly bilked the firm out of hundreds of thousands of dollars by endorsing numerous checks in amounts ranging from $1,000 to $3,500.
Warkoski spent the money on things like a Hawaiian vacation, a time share, a 2003 Ford Mustang and furniture for her house, according to Velez.
“A situation like this is just really sad,” Velez said. “Businesses put people in these positions because they feel they can be trusted … then those people take advantage of that trust.”
Velez said Warkoski had been employed by the firm for about a year before she assumed the accounts payable position in May 2004.
CONOVER, N.C.March 22 2011 — Conover police said a suspected shoplifter pulled a knife on a Kmart security guard Sunday.
Channel 9 has asked for the surveillance video after police said a couple casually carried electronics out of the store on 10th Street NW in Conover.
Police said when a security guard at the store confronted them, the man pulled out a box cutter.
The couple was last seen driving a White Acura on Interstate 40 toward Hickory.
The man is described as black standing about 5 feet 10 inches tall, weighing about 250 pounds. The woman is described as white about 5 feet 6 inches tall, weighing about 200 pounds.
Police are urging anyone who may have seen anything to call Conover police at 828-464-4698.