11 Year old girl electrocuted at Florida time share resort www.privateofficer.com
Orange County Fla June 29 2012 An 11-year-old girl who died while playing mini golf at a southwest Orange County time share was electrocuted, the Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner ruled this morning.
The autopsy conducted this morning determined 11-year-old Ashton Jojo, of Latham, N.Y. died of an accidental electrocution died while playing miniature golf.
Ashton Jojo died at Florida Hospital Celebration Health Wednesday afternoon after she was rushed there from the Orange Lake Resort on Irlo Bronson Highway.
The child was vacationing with her family. She celebrated her birthday Friday.
Ashton was playing miniature golf at the resort about 2 p.m. when her golf ball went into a small pond about 2 feet deep. She cried out in distress as she retrieved the ball, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.
Another resort guest at the resort, Christopher Burges of Alabama, heard Ashton’s screams and tried to rescue her. Burges was also injured and unable to save the girl. Detectives were looking into a number of possible causes, including electrocution.
Ashton was with her mother, father, and at least one brother, who also was checked out at the hospital but apparently was not injured, said Deputy Ginette Rodriguez, a sheriff’s spokeswoman.
A spokeswoman for Orange Lake Resort, Vice President of Corporate Communications Stacey Sutherland, would not comment.
The resort is at 8505 W. U.S. Highway 192, west of the Central Florida Beltway.