Home Security Safety Tips http://www.privateofficer.com
NTL. ASSOC. PRIVATE OFFICERS
The holidays are upon us and during this time of year law enforcement across the country sees an increase in home and business burglaries.
Home Burglary Prevention Tips
Each year in the U.S, there are more than five million home burglaries. The majority of home burglaries can be prevented. The risk of being burglarized can be greatly reduced by taking simple steps to make your home more difficult to enter and less enticing to would-be burglars. So here’s a few secuiryt tips that you can use to help make your home a less likely target.Here are a few tips to help make your home less vulnerable to a burglar.
1. All exterior entry doors should be made of solid metal or wood.
2. Check to make sure that door hinges are protected from removal from the outside.
3. Check the door frames to see if it’s strong enough and tight enough to preventing forcing it open. (Example: Body force, kicking it in.)
4. Inspect all exterior door locks to see if they are working properly.
5. The door strike plate screws should be 3 ½” or 4” long and screwed into the door frame for extra security.
1. Check to make sure all of your windows have locks in good working order.
3. Your storm windows should lock from the inside.
4. Check to make sure your windows are not blocked by outside landscape. This makes it easier for burglars to hide.
1. Close your garage door(s) whether you are home or away.
2. While working in the backyard don’t leave the overhead door open in the front.
3. Cover your garage windows so a burglar cannot see what’s inside.
1. All exterior entrances should be lighted with at least a 40watt light.
2. Check all the exterior lights and replace those that are out before the weather gets bad.
3. Remove dirt and debris from all light fixtures to maximize the lighting.
4. Try exterior dusk to dawn light fixture.
5. Use interior light timers on some of your interior lamps and radio/T.V. This will help light the inside of your house if you get home late and it gives the impression that someone is home.
Alarm systems vary from company to company. Check with your alarm company to make sure you are operating the system correctly. If there is any type of malfunction contact your alarm company for repairs right away.
Always set your alarm when you leave the house.
If your have a alarm company yard sign make sure it is visible in your front yard.
Advise the alarm company to call the Police Dept. first, (then, the owner, a relative or trusted neighbor) if your alarm goes off. This will help speed up response time to the burglar alarm
JOIN THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PRIVATE OFFICERS
Get news alerts, officer down, weather emergency news in your mailbox!